Monday, March 28, 2016

Oh a Palestinian ? Bring on the complications.

I was supposed to write about something depressing but i just found out i have reached 220 page views in one week !

Do you remember my friend who applied to a program for the american embassy in tel aviv but the was transferred ?
Thats what I've been thinking about all day long. For the past 3 days we've been sending out emails trying to explain his lousy situation.

During the process i got an email from a school I've applied to.
This school is in tel aviv and is a boarding school. It is international so it combines Israelis, arabs and the whole world.
When i got the email i expected an answer to wether i was accepted or not but was surprised to find a man arranging an interview.
You see I've already did two interviews and they told me to expect an answer.

When i talked to the man explaining to him the situation (I've been doing lots of explaining lately). He told me that he knows nothing about what i should do and that i applied as an Israeli not as a Palestinian.

You say what ?? When i want discounts, not stopped at check points and a visa for Europe I'm a Palestinian but when it come to scholarships I'm an Israeli ?!!
(Palestinians get better scholarships. We have no money.)

How was i supposed to know that there is a "special" application for Palestinians ? Should i have read your mind ?
They sent me an application. I filled it out. Paid 50 bucks and was asked for an interview. I didn't know i should've said no. I was supposed to make a good impression.

You see this whole story happens daily to hundreds of Palestinians. The changing nationalities whenever they want. The your a Palestinian your different situation. They don't get that we also don't know what we are supposed to call ourselves and where to go !!

Me and my friend have lost scholarships and were refused to many programs not because we are not qualified but because of the where I'm supposed to apply question ? Am i a Palestinian, Israeli,  Jordanian or just a jerusalemite ?
We both don't care. We don't call ourselves Palestinians but then these programs define and refuse us so aggressively for no reason that we have to fight back.

When is this ever going to end ? I know that when i apply through the Palestinian team it is going to be based on who is most beneficial for the interviewer not how qualified you are.

To end this day i visted ramallah. Going back home we had to kneel down because there was shooting at Qalandia check point.
Whats ironic about it ? Its not between the Israeli soldiers and Palestinians.
Going to hug my Harvard shirt to sleep.

Good night
Malak




No comments:

Post a Comment